Δευτέρα, 2 Οκτωβρίου 2017

Worst massacre in US history: At least 50 dead, 200 wounded in Las Vegas concert shooting!!

(Photo: AFP) (Photo: AFP)
Unknown perpetrators open fire during open-air country music festival on Las Vegas Strip near Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino; area cordoned off by security forces, authorities shut down part of strip and Interstate 15.
A gunman on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas Strip casino opened fire on an outdoor music festival, killing at least 50 people—including two off-duty police officers—and wounding more than 200, officials said early Monday.
  Police described the suspect as being a local Las Vegas man who acted alone and was not believed to be connected to any militant group, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters.


(Photo: AP, Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal) (Photo: AP, Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
(Photo: AP, Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

Police later confirmed the gunman was 64-year-old Stephen Paddock from Mesquite, Nevada, who shot at concert goers from the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay Hotel across from the concert.


(Photo: AFP) (Photo: AFP)
(Photo: AFP)

Getting off roughly 100 shots in about five minutes, Paddock carried out the worst massacre on US soil, surpassing the shooting in the Orlando LGBT night club last year, which claimed the lives of 49 people.

Authorities were seeking a woman they named as Marilou Danley, 62, he said. He gave no details of whether she was suspected of involvement in the attack but described her as an "associate".


Suspected accomplice Danley was picked up by police following a manhunt
Suspected accomplice Danley was picked up by police following a manhunt

Danley was later picked up by police following a manhunt.

Danley's Facebook page, deleted shortly before she was identified as a suspect in the shooting, said she was a "Proud mom and grandma who lives life to the fullest."

On the LinkedIn social network, Danley described herself as "Gambling & Casinos Professional."

The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs said no Israeli victims were known at this time.


(Photo: AFP) (Photo: AFP)
(Photo: AFP)

Dozens of patrol vehicles descended on the Strip after authorities received reports of the active shooter at the Route 91 Harvest Festival, where country music singer Jason Aldean was performing.

Concert-goers reported seeing muzzle flashes from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from the country music festival and the sound of what they described as automatic gun fire.
Photos from the scene showed victims bleeding on the ground and many others escaping on foot. The area has been cordoned off by security forces.


(Photo: AP) (Photo: AP)
(Photo: AP)
 
Kodiak Yazzi, 36, said he and his girlfriend were watching Jason Aldean's performance when he heard what sounded like fireworks. The music stopped temporarily and started up again before another round of pops sent the performers ducking for cover and fleeing the stage.
Thousands fled as bursts of gunfire could be heard for more than five minutes, Yazzi said.
(Photo: AFP) (Photo: AFP)
(Photo: AFP)

Witnesses said they saw multiple victims and dozens of ambulances near the concert venue. Some attendees later huddled in the basement of the nearby Tropicana hotel-casino.  
(Photo: AFP) (Photo: AFP)
(Photo: AFP)

Some officers took cover behind their vehicles while others carrying assault rifles ran into the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

 
Country singer Jake Owen, who was on stage before Aldean, tweeted: "Gun shots!!! Vegas. Pray to god. Love you guys."

Country singer Luke Combs, who also performed at the festival Sunday night, tweeted: "Active shooter at @Route91Harvest in Vegas. We're safe. Love you guys." 

Authorities shut down part of the Las Vegas Strip and Interstate 15.

Some flights destined for the McCarran International Airport were diverted due to incident.

Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.